Thursday, February 9, 2012

Comforting Chicken Soup

Also the easiest :) So I've been deathly ill these past few days, and today, my wonderful boyfriend asked me if I wanted him to make the chicken soup I had made for him just a few weeks ago. This speaks volumes to the level of easiness this chicken soup is to put together, because those of you who know him, know that the most he can usually manage in the kitchen is ramen or packaged curry ;)

This recipe came about on its own in the aftermath of the first Thanksgiving that I managed to roast my first turkey, which was about 3 years ago. With a giant bird and lots of leftovers to take care of, the most simple solution looked like a turkey stew. And boy was that soup a success! Since most of you won't have a roast turkey lying around, a nice rotisserie chicken is used in place to make this recipe everyday accessible :)

When choosing a rotisserie chicken, try to find one with lots of brown drippings sitting at the bottom of the bag/container, this makes the soup infinitely more flavorful and awesome.

This is a big recipe, to share in the comfort of good chicken soup or to last you through the most miserable of sick days, so you'll need a large pot that holds about 2 quarts!

Recipe:
1 whole rotisserie chicken, shredded
rotisserie chicken drippings, if any is available
4 sticks of celery, sliced into 1 in. pieces
4 sticks of carrots, sliced into 1 in. pieces
1 whole onion, quartered and separated
2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
2 bay leaves
3 12 oz. cans of chicken broth
2 cups of water

Seasonings:
salt and pepper to taste ( I like to add lots of pepper, I like my soup with a kick! Which is up to 1 tbsp)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp all seasoning
3 tbsp of dried parsley

Directions: Once you have everything prepared, throw everything into the pot except for the seasonings. Let come to a boil and then bring it down to a simmer for the next hour. Season with the specified seasonings and enjoy! You won't regret it.